[FoRK] Kelley Howell
Stephen D. Williams
2018-10-14 04:02:30 UTC
I am sorry to say that Kelley Howell has lost her fight with cancer at the very young age of 56.  She was bright, interesting,
challenging, and she seemed to handle everything gracefully.  She seemed to be as thoughtful as possible to everyone, right down to
sharing her final playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/31krvklcosxtlgqsmygxfntlxgpa/playlist/096Y4qM5zzW3spLPc5oyKf
Hello Everyone,
This is Rhys and Dan, posting from Kelley's account.
We all know it's been a while since you've heard from our favorite and beloved expositor so, she asked that a post be made on her
behalf. To tell y'all about her superlicious final moments headphones-only playlist.
She first called it a sort of joke, but quickly amended that to say it was a light-hearted "Here's the music I like, like it or
roast me" sort of thing. Or maybe it was just a "What do y'all think? Like my music or is there a dissertation in what is wrong
with it?" sort of thing. My memory fuzzes on nailing down particulars like that right now.
Personally, I think that she welcomes properly-formed critiques and is willing to hear suggestions, but they may or may not be
acted upon depending on multiple factors too complicated to detail here.
Her health continues its downward trajectory I'm sorry to say. We are hoping for improvement but we are not being naive about it.
Life is short, relish the moments available to you while you can. Share with others. Love and make memories worth remembering.
Life is short, chaotic, and random. Despite us wishing otherwise there's no pattern or grand plan behind any of it. There's
nothing we can do to improve it, except to do our best to be kind to one another.
Rhys
https://www.facebook.com/kelley.g.howell

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelleychowell/

Under mutual connections, LinkedIn tells me: "You and Kelley both know Damien Morton".

My set of related PSAs:

Be aggressive about anything that might be cancer, especially skin, throat, and subdermal.  #NoBumpsPolicy  #WhenInDoubtCutItOut
Except prostate, use the new injected steam minimizing thing there instead of surgery when possible.

Did you know that adults can ask for the HPV vaccine (insist with your doctor), that the FDA just "approved" it for adults, and that
Australia believes they will be cervical cancer free soon?  They've been vaccinating everyone for a while and they state that 99.7%
of cervical cancers are caused by HPV.  (And it is a main cause of throat cancers.)

For men, more sex leads to less cancer.

If you have chronic afib (atrial fibrillation), get cardioablation surgery.  It's a standard thing now, 1 day outpatient catheter
surgery, doesn't cost much (on contract rates), and can permanently fix the issue, which includes heart decline and risk of stroke.

And use a CPAP if you snore (enough to have apneas at all, or that keeps anyone awake).

And, most of all, exercise a lot, primarily endurance sports: running, steep hiking, strenuous biking, inline skating, kayaking,
bootcamp continuous weight workouts, constant dancing, or rock climbing.  If you aren't sweating and breathing really hard for
several hours a week, you're not keeping your cardiovascular system in good shape so it will decline quickly.  And it is likely
highly anti-cancer.

Weight is bad, but a little isn't as bad as they used to think. Past a certain age, being too thin is worse.  Cardio health is far
more important than weight, although of course they are related to some extent.

Stephen
--
Stephen D. Williams ***@lig.net ***@gmail.com
Hangouts:***@gmail.com AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams
LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in Resume: http://sdw.st/gres
geege schuman
2018-10-14 05:41:23 UTC
Here’s Kelley’s FB post from mid-September. She was thinking of us until
the end.

It’s getting that time my lovely fam. Your body just knows. I'm too weak
for any treatments and the pain is horrific. It has been a hard day with
therapy and I'm so exhausted, too tired to battle. I'm refusing treatment
and getting ready for hospice. I don't imagine I can live this way for even
a couple of weeks. Which sounds horrific, but it's a godsend to hear your
body tell you it's time, to feel the relief and not be afraid.

It's peaceful. It's liberating. Your choices are narrowed, you don't have
to fret anymore which, for us modern Americans is precisely what's making
us sick on every level: too many useless choices, too many demands on the
time we have to live and enjoy our communities. And we do it all, too
often, without communities to support us because they've been ravaged by
modern life, a precarious economy, what Habermas called the colonization of
our lifeworld by the state and a soul crushing market economy.

If you are of this political persuasion, carry on the fight to make us all
more free, whole humans who can achieve and do anything in the context of
communities overflowing with human love, human potential. It's always about
freedom.

I thought y'all would find it a comfort to know that while I'm sad to have
little time to do a few things, I'm not especially afraid. I did take half
an atavan, tho. *smile*
Rohit Khare