[FoRK] stupid idea of the day
Gregory Alan Bolcer
2018-04-27 17:05:36 UTC
https://github.com/erayon/seizures

Someone posted their git repo on doing signal predictions for seizures.
So here's my stupid idea of the day: build a Chrome plugin that does
signal detection for images to auto-block images that are likely to
cause seizures. I think that'd be really valuable.

Apparently it's (photic and pattern induced seizures) a significant
portion of the population for not only seizures, but migraines and other
issues.

https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/why-some-still-images-trigger-seizures

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-do-flashing-images-cause-seizures-180961504/

Anyone built a browser plugin lately?

Greg
***@bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476
Ken Meltsner

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever .sig material.
Tom Higgins
2018-04-27 18:21:17 UTC
'The episode is infamous for certain repetitive visual effects that
induced photosensitive
epileptic <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy> seizures
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seizure> in a substantial number of
Japanese viewers, an incident referred to as the "Pokémon Shock"
(ポケモンショック *Pokémon
Shokku*) by the Japanese press. '

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennō_Senshi_Porygon
Gregory Alan Bolcer
2018-04-27 21:03:06 UTC
Well, I'm a big fan of GANs, but to your second point--probably not w/o
human subjects. You can probably start by training the knowingly
malicious ones and err on the side of caution.

But I wonder if there is an anti-pattern.

Greg
You might get best results by co-developing both simultaneously, in a
'generative adversarial' setup!
I wonder, though, how to calibrate to a particular person's
sensitivities. Is there perhaps a way, under active monitoring, that a
visual stimulus can be detected to be approaching a problematic state
but then ended/reversed before too much risk/pain?
- Gordon
Steve Nordquist
2018-05-05 03:51:40 UTC
Post by Gregory Alan Bolcer
Anyone built a browser plugin lately?
Just the cherry krim tomato deconstructed Project Manager for browser
plugins...all promises.

If there are service animals (medium dogs...electric chinchillas and
fox pandas?) who can detect seizures, perhaps this kind. So the
antipattern would be to cue the dog (or Service Transgenic Raccoon)
(preempt the owner) to take post-near-miss food or medicine (or its
antisense; and spoof Volume and MUTE-varietal signals to anything with
a mixer and/or consonant MIDI IN, clarify nearby electric-shade windows,
tell display fountains it's noon, engage clipping filters, draw
Foreign Ministry Hostelry Cuban Mode, etc.)

The extension would crack back on premature seizure optimization and
perhaps coordinate with whatever the successor to 8508-model monitor
DPMI, and 'eye-sensitive' monitor features are? IR multitouch tracking
monitor build notifications RSS, anyone?